When I searched in Jira's advanced filter, I faced a problem.

Hi,

When I searched in Jira's advanced filter, I faced a problem.

For example:

Without any filtre I have totally 2925 matching issues.

project=Mailing has 932 matching issues.

component = banner 12 matching issues. (Project named YS, includes banner component.)

project != Mailing AND component != Banner has 826 matching issues.

But mathematically,

2925-(932+12)= 1981

and this solution does not match the result of project != Mailing AND component != Banner filter.

Did I make a mistake or is this a bug?

4 answers

0 votes

Possibly - needs a bit more investigation - could you try the following filters and see what numbers you get?

  • project != Mailing
  • component = Banner
  • component = banner
  • component != Banner
  • component != banner

(I'm suspecting case sensitivity and the components in your projects not quite matching, but I'm not sure)

  • project != Mailing 1994 matching issues.
  • component = Banner 12 matching issues.
  • component = banner 12 matching issues.
  • component != Banner 827 matching issues.
  • component != banner 827 matching issues.



Thanks, that neatly rules out my first thought :-(

But it doesn't look at all right. component = banner (12) + component != banner (827) does not add up anywhere close to your total number of issues, so there's something else happening here.

Next, I'd try

  • project = Mailing (so we know how many are in there)
  • project = Mailing and component = banner (Obviously, if you haven't got banner as a component in there, you don't need to worry about this one)
  • project != Mailing (to get a current accurate count of the reverse)

Hi,

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for the time and effort.

I tried also :

  • project = Mailing 932 matching issues.
  • project = Mailing and component = banner no matching issues.
  • project != Mailing 1994 matching issues.


Excellent, and the last one - your original query of "project != mailing and component != banner"?

If it comes out at 1982, then it's all good. If it does not, then I think you have one or more broken issues (by which I mean the indexing is broken). If you don't get 1982, then the next step would be to do a full re-index and see if that changes the result. May take a minute for your sized Jira, so you might want to talk to your users and schedule it (or wait until they've all gone home for the day, at least)

0 votes

I don't think it is a bug. Basically, you are doing an AND on 2 NOT operations.

project != Mailing 1994 matching issues

component != Banner 827 matching issues.

An AND of both will return only the common issues between them. ie. 827 issues.

What happens when you try this?

project != Mailing OR component != Banner

I would expect 1994.

Yes, you're right. When I search for

project != Mailing OR component != Banner ı get 1994 matching issues.

But, should I not use the formula that I used before ? Let me check...

2925-(932+12)= ( 2925 - 932) + (2925- 12)

=("Without any filtre"- "project=Mailing") + ("Without any filtre"- " component = banner ") =NOT( "project=Mailing") + NOT( " component = banne ")

= NOT( "project=Mailing") AND NOT( " component = banne ")

= project!=Mailing AND component != banner

You are confusing yourself. It doesn't work that way.

project!=Mailing AND component != banner

It finds all issues not in Project (1994) and all issues not with component Banner (827). Then takes the common issues in both the results since the operator used is AND. It combines both when OR is used.

The key thing is, you are doing AND on negation (!).

I think these one is the problem. It has something to do with the operator.

As far as i understand, component != Banner shows every issue with any component different from Banner, including the empty ones.

Your just using the wrong numbers:

component != "JIRA Core" : 1158

That's every issue in the whole system, where the component is NOT set to "JIRA Core".

Now to check, how much issues in a certain project do NOT have this component:

project = "Atlassian Products" and component != "JIRA Core" : 56

56 Issues in the project Atlassian Products have NOT set the component.

Now to check, if all other issues in the system with the component NOT set to "JIRA Core", except those in the Atlassian Products project, sum up correctly, you do a search like:

project != "Atlassian Products" and component != "JIRA Core" : 1102

Works like a charm here ...

But, in my situation the related component is not included in Mailing Project.

(The Banner component is included in another project.) Does this condition make a differenece?

I think the issues is about EMPTY components

When i search for "component != Banner" 828 results fetched but

when i search for "component != Banner or component is EMPTY" 2916 rows fetched.

As far as i understand, component != Banner also filters not EMPTY ones.

Suggest an answer

Log in or Join to answer
Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,950 views 12 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot