When I create an issue within my custom issutype...

Magnus Jensen September 25, 2012

When I create an issue within/sitting in my custom issutype, the issuetype is of the same type as my custom issuetype, but I want it to be of issuetype Bug. Do I spescify this in my custom workflow steps? Because there I can see that my 'Create my issutype. uses the default screen, and it is also the screen showing up as I want, but it is of the same type as the same custom issuetype I am sitting in when creating a new issue (using my own statuses and transistsions).

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2012

Um, I'm a little confused about "create an issue within" my issue type.

Do you mean subtasks? Where are you doing this creation?

For what it's worth, think of the issue types as a simple list in two sections. One section is "parent" issue types, and another is "subtask" issue types. All issue types must be unique across the list, and you can use "issue type schemes" to define sub-sets for projects (e.g. have 50 issue types, but project A only uses 3)

We've mentioned this before, and it's worth saying again - the selection of an issue type is done BEFORE the workflow even begins. Because the issue type is a hook to hang the workflow on (e.g. you've got bug-workflow for handling bugs and sub-bugs, and issue-workflow for issues). You need to stop thinking of the workflow as having anything to do with the creation of issues - it only starts to have an effect after you have started to create the issue and know the issue type.

What I ment with "within an issuetype" is that I am standing in my custom workflow that is made for the custom issuetype, say issuetype A, and I have some steps that my issuetype A goes through. However in one of these steps I want to stop up and say lets create a new issuetype in this step (of type bug/default Jira) of the workflow using the default screen. This actually which works at the moment, it shows the default screen, not the custom screen that I have defined for i.e. create the issue of my custom type, but the problem is that the issuetype is of A not Bug, even though I have used the default screen as transistion screen when defining the workflow.

I hope I managed to expalin this so you understand.

Cheers,

Magnus

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 25, 2012

Ok, so, to repeat this back to make sure I have understood...

You want to create an issue as you progress through the workflow of an existing issue. For example, if you click "move to testing" on ABC-123, then ABC-155 gets created.

How are you doing that at the moment? There is no mechanism for it in Jira at all, so I don't know what you've set up, unless you've got some plugin that tries to do it. If that's the case, then what is the plugin?

Yes, what I want to do in practice is while progressing to a workflow for my custom issuetype, I want to click on a button and create a bug that is linked to that custom issue.

Ok?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 25, 2012

Mmm, well, that's not going to happen, there's simply no structure there to allow it.

The best you can do is to have a transition screen that prompts the user for information, and a post-function or listener that scans the information and creates your new issue separately from the current issue, when the user commits their change.

Or, you coul dput something on the screen that the user clicks, and it pops a second Jira window with the "create issue" screen pre-populated for them, but that will still leave the original issue sitting there waiting for them to commit the transition (which they don't actually have to do)

0 votes

BTW: under the filed for issuetype that I want to be a bug not the same as my custom issuetyep this text appears:

There are no issue types with compatible field configuration and/or workflow associations.
The issue type can only be changed by moving this issue.

Suggest an answer