• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • When I create a board with multiple projects, can I avoid the full dialogue (with all fields) on ticket creation? All the projects have the same limited create screen, so it's very annoying.

When I create a board with multiple projects, can I avoid the full dialogue (with all fields) on ticket creation? All the projects have the same limited create screen, so it's very annoying.

Morgan Thunder January 12, 2017

As above. If users go to add a quick ticket to the backlog, they get this ridiculous screen with every possible field on it. I understand that with multiple projects it could be hard to know what fields to show, but showing every single one is not a solution. In any case, all of these projects are configured the same, with very few fields on the create screen and only 2 obligatory.

How can I have the ticket create from board just show fields relevant to the projects on the board?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 13, 2017

>it could be hard to know what fields to show, but showing every single one is not a solution

So how does it know which fields you want?  Although, if all the projects are configured the same, then they'll be using the same lists of fields. 

I think you need to take a look at your issue create screens for the projects, and maybe field configurations too,

Morgan Thunder January 16, 2017

Thank for your reply Nic. I guess I'm trying to get an understanding of what exactly prompts JIRA to remove the quick ticket feature where you don't need to fill in a create screen (I'm getting "Due to the configuration for this particular board, you'll have to use the full dialog to create a new issue.")

All the projects on the board have the same Issue Create Screens (same ITSS's) so it's not that and they also all have the same Create screens. I guess when I said 'it could be hard to know what fields to show' I was trying to imagine the cause, but I can't really figure it now. What could I change in Field Configurations to fix it?

I currently have no FC schemes configured and the only existing FC is the default one (new instance of self-hosted JIRA).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 16, 2017

It's the fields on the screen that's in use - if they're mandatory, but not standard, it needs to pop the main dialogue in order to ask the user for them.

I have no mandatory non-standard fields - I haven't added any field configurations at all.  Very minimal setup - just one screen for all.  Yet I still get this pop-up...any other idea why this would be?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 16, 2017

Ok, the other thing that can cause this is a filter that excludes issue types (it's not the right message for this case, which is annoying)

Could you share the board filter with us?  Or temporarily change it so that it selects all issue types?

Hmm - but there is no issue type restriction in the filter. It is simply:

project in (IL, CSD, BUGS, BP, BAC, WG, API, OPS) ORDER BY Rank ASC

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2017

Do those projects all have identical issue type schemes?  And, in fact, check the other schemes too - are they all on the default field configuration, same screen scheme etc.

Morgan Thunder January 17, 2017

Identical Issue Type Schemes, Identical Issue Type Screen Schemes, screen schemes - all on default field configuration... hence my confusion...

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 17, 2017

Workflow and field contexts too?

Morgan Thunder January 23, 2017

Same workflow scheme with only 1 workflow on all projects. Not sure about field contexts, but they are all using the same default field configuration. How do I check field contexts? I certainly didn't change them though.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2017

Check the Admin -> Custom fields list - that says where each field is available via "context".

Morgan Thunder January 23, 2017

Ah - I'm not using any custom fields. Totally stumped about this. Is it possible that JIRA software just doesn't allow the quick ticket feature for boards that have multiple projects, even if they are configured the same?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 23, 2017

That's what's frustrating me here - I've got quick-issue links, and my boards do have differing configs, mixed projects, and custom fields etc.  Could you tell us what version of Software you are on?

Morgan Thunder January 24, 2017

JIRA v7.3.0

Sorry - delayed reply as my

"activity is currently limited because you've commented, answered or asked a question 2 times in the past 24 hours. These limits apply until you earn 3 points, then you can ask, answer and comment as much as you like."

Suggest an answer