Whats the (best) way to populate custom fields?

NickW August 14, 2012

I have a customfield in which I want a list of potential build numbers i.e. 1 to 5000 I dont fancy doing this by hand for all our projects which will have the same filed.

1. Whats the best way to populate the field? Can I do it from a file? I couldnt seem to see anything in JCLI which might help but I may have missed the obvious.

2. Can you sort dropdowns e.g. most recent version is at the top

Many thanks

Nick

3 answers

1 vote
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 14, 2012

It's also pretty straightforward to do it with curl, or script your browser using webdriver. Well, straightforward if you've done it before.

Also see https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/92385/importing-project-from-another-jira-instance-how-do-we-mass-import-custom-field-multi-select-options?page=1#92622

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

Yes, this would be the easiest option.

0 votes
Rp Subhub
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2012

How about using CreateCustomField Jelly tag?

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 15, 2012

Ah yes, can do this as well.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 14, 2012

JIRA remote APIs don't support it yet and that is why CLI doesn't support it.

The best way might be to write a small servlet which programmatically add the options.

The easiest waut might be to add it in the database directly (customfieldoption table) as long as you know what you are doing. You will have to take JIRA offline, reindex once back up etc.

Suggest an answer