What would be the most efficient structure for Jira Server with docker?

coronel-b July 25, 2018

The technologies and tools that I decided to use are:

• Cloud computing: Google Cloud Platform
  • SO: Debian
  • Docker
  • Web server: Apache Server
  • DBMS: PostgreSQL
  • App: Jira Server

My idea is to run a single instance of Jira for the moment in Docker but have everything ready in case I need to run more instances later.

I would like to clear up some doubts.

1. Is Apache Server or Nginx better for Jira?
  2. In which cases would we use several instances of Jira?
  3. Do I have to mount the docker container in a VM using Compute Engine, or is it convenient to use Kubernetes Engine? Why? Which would be more efficient according to the number of instances Jira.
  4. The web server, dbms and the app have to go in the same docker or in a different one?
  5. PostgreSQL I need to run in the same docker as Jira, in a docker different from Jira or in CloudSQL? Why and what would be more efficient?
  6. In the same domain or base url, I want to have wordpress and jira server. Basically, how should the dockers structure be?
  7. Any link or tutorial that recommend to create dockers in a generic way?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2018
  1. Is Apache Server or Nginx better for Jira?

i think it’s more of a preference. I prefer nginx but either works. 

1. In which cases would we use several instances of Jira?

if you need separate instances of JIRA. Unless you use JIRA Datacenter(which is clusterable) - it’s one JIRA instance per nvm. 

1. Do I have to mount the docker container in a VM using Compute Engine, or is it convenient to use Kubernetes Engine? Why? Which would be more efficient according to the number of instances Jira.

again - one instance of JIRA per site. 

1. The web server, dbms and the app have to go in the same docker or in a different one?

nope. You can have them separate. 

1. PostgreSQL I need to run in the same docker as Gira, in a docker different from Jira or in CloudSQL? Why and what would be more efficient?

better convention for docker? You can do backups separately etc. 

coronel-b July 25, 2018

What do you mean with one instance of JIRA per site? Why?

Suggest an answer