What version of Tomcat is in JIRA 6.2.3?

Melanie Rogers April 30, 2014

I looked for a reference document but didn't see one. We need to upgrade Tomcat from 7.0.47, available with JIRA 6.2 to Tomcat 7.0.53. Since Tomcat is embedded in JIRA and we run it as a windows service, I'm not having much luck finding help on upgrading Tomcat. Please advise.

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 30, 2014

There's no real help on doing this because you're generally not expected to do it. If you want to run Jira in a different Tomcat, the usual advice is to move to the WAR version - using different application servers is one of the reasons it's available.

You could try to unpick it, but frankly, you don't really care about the version really, you just need to put Tomcat 7 over the top, comparing every single file change to make sure it's still valid. (Or, deploy your chosen Tomcat and use the WAR release). You'll then need to deal with the service wrappers or however the system is making it run as a service.

Melanie Rogers April 30, 2014

Nic, I guess we will have to move to a WAR file. A security issues prompted the upgrade of Tomcat. Thanks for the quick response.

Melanie Rogers May 1, 2014

Another question....Why does JIRA windows service contain Tomcat 7 but JIRA War contains only up to Tomcat 6?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 1, 2014

Think it's the other way around isn't it? In fact, the WAR doesn't have any Tomcat, it's just a download of the application and build functions so you can generate something you can deploy in whatever Tomcat/app-server you want.

I suspect the standalone/service downloads are aimed at evaluation and getting started, and Atlassian don't have the resources to build hundreds of packages with all the different possible varieties that people *might* ask for.

Suggest an answer