What version of Jira should we choose?

Micke S. July 27, 2017

Hello,

We will install Jira and use it for keeping track of our IT Operations tasks what we are working on and what we want to do (backlog). But i am unsure what version of Jira we should install? We will not be using Jira for software development, only improvements on our IT infrastructure.

We want to use the website for creating, assigning and working on our tasks. Also have an API available so we can push new tasks into the system with PowerShell for example. And Reports dont hurt.

Would appreciate the help

Thanks

/Micke

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

Start with JIRA Core.

Software gives you Scrum and Kanban boards.  Service Desk gives you, well, a Service Desk interface for handling support requests.

From what you've said, Core is probably enough.  If it's not, then try it, and add Software as a trial if you think you might need boards (when the trial lapses, the boards go away, Core carries on as before)

Micke S. July 27, 2017

Hi, sounds like what i have read. Is there anything "bonus" wise i get with Jira Software? Do we need boards you think?

If we dont have boards, are they listed then?

If i understand it correctly we already have paid for Jira Software, do you think its worth installing then? or just stay with Jira Core?
Is Core included in the Software license?

Dont want to have to much stuff we dont need, but still have some flexibility with the workflows etc.

Core sounds best i guess, and if we can add Software later that would also work fine i guess.

Any thoughts on the additional information.

Thanks so much

/Micke

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2017

I'm not quite sure what you're asking now. 

JIRA Core provides you with issue tracking - workflows, issues, projects, fields and all the ancilliary stuff you need like reports, users etc.

Software adds Scrum and Kanban boards.  As I said, you did not put anything in your question that suggested you would really need them, but I can't tell if you might find them useful.

Gaston Valente
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2017

As Nic said,

You can start with core and then add software and even service desk.

latest versions of core includes boards too

workflows have the same functionality in core and software.

Suggest an answer