What to do after JIRA server cloning ?

Rebecca Puypalat June 18, 2015

Hello guys,

I have requested a clone of a JIRA/JIRA Agile VM embedded DB for creating a dev environnement.

But I'm not sure of what to do now to avoid cnflict with VM , to restart the service , the DB ... Is there a documention from Atlassian which exmplain that ?

Thank you

Beckie

2 answers

1 vote
Daniel Santos
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 19, 2015

No exactly to clone but to migrate, the related documentation is https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server.

In your case, if it is a clone, you should take care about the database, base URL and also the license. If the used database is outside of the virtual machine you can have a big problem if you start the new machine. You could corrupt the database used by the other JIRA instance.

I strongly advise you to read the above documentation to be aware of the needed changes (this is not a documentation for cloning JIRA, but for migrating it). The main warning is about the database. The database configuration is stored in the <JIRA_HOME>/dbconfig.xml file if you want to check how it is referenced now.
You can drop the database used for the clone instance, create an empty one, check the configuration from the <JIRA_HOME>/dbconfig.xml file and if there is no conflicts you can restart the JIRA and it should start from the wizard page to reconfigure every thing.

Also a good reference you can use is the installation manual: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Installing+JIRA

Cheers,
Daniel P Santos

0 votes
Rebecca Puypalat June 19, 2015

Hello,

Thanks for your quick feedback.

All is stored on the VM, I mean the DB is also on it.

The objective is a dev usage only for me as new administrator of application, not for production.

I have a look on your document.

Best regards

Beckie

Cordon Capell March 6, 2018

I know this is an old thread, but I'm looking to do a clone of our current Jira server that is a VM with the database stored on its self. I'm wondering if you were successful in creating the clone. Also if you ran into any issues. I want to create the clone so I can do test to see how it would be to move our prod Jira server to the cloud. 

Regards, 

Cordon Capell

Suggest an answer