What should the LastViewed field show

Jenifer Kuntz August 18, 2014

I am looking at my issue navigator and added the LastViewed column to my results. Only a few of my issues have a lastviewed date populated, most are empty (50ish populated out of 1500)

What does this field represent? I would have assumed that most if not all would have a date populated.

4 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Fisher November 19, 2015

One other observation (and I may have answered my own question in this process).

I noticed that the lastViewed date on an issue appears differently for different people.  And it's not even possible to show the lastViewed column if you're not logged in.

So I'm assuming that when the doc says "Search for issues that were last viewed on, before or after a particular date", I assume it means "that were last viewed on, before or after a particular date, by the currently logged in user"?  And viewing the lastViewed column shows the date that the issue was last viewed by the currently logged in user? (As opposed to indicating when the issue was last viewed by anyone?)

Christian Scharrer March 27, 2018

I just made the same observation, it's only the current user. Which doesn't help me eighter, I hoped to get all issues that hadn't been noticeed by anyone for a while.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 19, 2014

Hey Jenifer.

As per this page LAstViewed is defined as follows:

LastViewed

Search for issues that were last viewed on, before or after a particular date (or date range). Note that if a time-component is not specified, midnight will be assumed. Please note that the search results will be relative to your configured time zone (which is by default the JIRA server's time zone).

So yes, normally you should have more issues with that field populated.

Hope this helps!

0 votes
Viktor June 10, 2020

Lastviewed is per user, not global.

I created a new user, and the lastViewed column is empty for every issue. When the new user opens a ticket, that field get's populated.

Useful for creating an overview for "issues I have worked on" filter for example.

Acho October 26, 2020

That's partly correct. Apparently, after some time, the field becomes empty. I have hundreds of issues assigned to me, all of them have been viewed by me in a certain point of time, yet only about 50 appear to have a lastViewed value. I can confirm that what Serhii said above is correct as I get the same results as him.

0 votes
Andrew Fisher November 19, 2015

Jennifer - did you ever figure out why some of your issues had an empty "lastViewed" field?

I noticed that we have a similar situation, with many issues (which we have definitely looked at in the browser) having a empty lastViewed field.

Serhii Riabovil July 17, 2018

I noticed that lastViewed field is only present in issues from the "Viewed recently" filter.

So

issuekey in issueHistory()

and

lastViewed is not EMPTY

return the same results

Suggest an answer