What should the $JAVA_HOME be set to for Jira Software 7?

James Groff February 5, 2016

/bin/java?

1 answer

1 vote
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2016

Ideally, it should point to where your JAVA (version 8) is installed. What environment do you have? Try to locate it or "which" it or search it smile

Note: There's a feature to ship Atlassian products with its own JDK, I'm not sure if it was implemented in JIRA 7.

James Groff February 5, 2016

which returns /bin/java

Thanks Gabrielle.  I am installing on centos 7  using the .bin installer which does install open jdk version 1.8.0_71.

so I edit the /etc/environment file to have the line $JAVA_HOME=/bin/java then correct?

Thanks for your time.

Yagnesh Bhat
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 5, 2016

It should be the folder where your jdk is located. In CentOS, I think its something like /usr/lib/jvm/<jdk folder name>. Basically you need to make sure that this folder has the javac and java executibles.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2016

For the path, the JAVA_HOME should be set to the base installation of the whole Java installation.  You've run "which java" which tells you what java runs according to your path, but that's not the installation.  If you try "ls -l /bin/java", you'll find it's actually a symbolic link to somewhere else (and often, the target is also a symbolic link).  You need to follow those to the end point, which will be something like /usr/share/jvm/oracle_java_1.8.16/bin/java.  The base install is (usually) the directory above the bin, so for my example, you'd set it to /usr/share/jvm/oracle_java_1.8.16

But as Gabrielle says, if you've used the installer, it should have done all the work for you - java home being set by the scripts it's built for you!

Suggest an answer