What's the difference between JIRA Software server and JIRA Software datacenter?

Óscar Montero July 3, 2017

Is it just the quantity of users that it could manage? Or there is something about functionality?

2 answers

1 accepted

4 votes
Answer accepted
Chelsea C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2017

Features/functionality-wise, they are virtually identical. The key difference is in Data Center's ability to scale while maintaining performance through access to more resources. Plus, by deploying to a hosting service like AWS, you can offload much of the system administration required with Server. Data Center is also optimized for AWS deployment, offers SAML 2.0 support, and comes with Atlassian-supported disaster recovery — none of which is available with the Server version.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 3, 2017

A minor point - there are a number of add-ons for Server that do not function properly on data-centre (mostly down to caching stuff).  If you're considering a more to DC, check your add-ons.

brijeshSchElec October 7, 2018

Is this issue with add-ons applicable now as well? Or are there any measures taken to address this problem now? 

We are looking to move from server to DC as we start our scaleup. One of the main reasons for us to move it wrt high availability. 

On the other hand, I see a significant cost increase while we move to DC assuming 2k users.

Any suggestions or precautions we need to take. Thanks

Chelsea C
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 8, 2018

@brijeshSchElec Apps in Atlassian Marketplace marked as "Data Center approved" go through a vetting process (as of 3 Sept 2018). Check out this blog post for all the details.

1 vote
Mark Finta May 11, 2018

I want to clarify this.  Does jira datacenter handle avatars the same as jira server?  I know when I installed jira datacenter, in the JIRA_Home/data folder, there was an attachments folder but no avatars folder.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2018

Not quite.  Parts of the data directory have to be located on shared storage, so the file structure is a bit different, but that's the only significant difference.

Suggest an answer