What's the difference between JIRA Home and JIRA Local Home?

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2015

JIRA 6.1 System Info has two kinds of JIRA Home:

Location of JIRA Home/u1/jira/home
Location of JIRA Local Home/u1/jira/home

What's the difference?

2 answers

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2015

As you have guessed, this is related to JIRA Data Center (JDC).

Under JDC, there is a "local home" used for logs, the Lucene index, configuration files, etc. and a "shared home" used for resources that all nodes need access to, such as backup directories, index snapshots, attachments, avatars, and installed plugins.

Parts of the the JDC project were already underway in JIRA 6.1, and the ability to split JIRA's home directory was one of the earliest pieces of that work.

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 24, 2015

To answer myself, from https://docs.atlassian.com/jira/6.4.1/com/atlassian/jira/config/util/JiraHome.html#getLocalHome()

it looks like this is to do with JIRA Data Center. I was puzzled because I found it in 6.1.3 but I guess it was just early work. It doesn't appear in any searchable documentation I can find

Suggest an answer