What's the best way to report on software quality over multiple projects?

Matthias Ton March 6, 2014

Hi folks,

we are planning to create a couple of new filters for reporting on software quality over multiple projects. I already had a look at the excellent Reporting in JIRA page. However, I was wondering what you would recommend to be good filters for this.

Right now, we are planning to create the following filters:

1. Development accuracy
    1. Number of unresolved tickets with priority 1 and 2 per project
    2. Average age of tickets per project
    3. Time that tickets spent in various stages of the workflow per project
  2. Software stability
    1. Number of support tickets for a given project in the last two years
  3. Software stability at the end of an iteration
    1. Number of support tickets for a given project, which underwent development recently (based on a three month basis)

We are also planning to add the default created vs. unresolved reports.

Thanks very much.

Matthias

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 6, 2014

Hi Matthias,

You already have the right filters - one of the issues i feel can be with the filer -

Time that tickets spent in various stages of the workflow per project

As developers don't "click" on start progress once they actually start progress and loads of times they do open-> closed thus this kind of behaviour can result in Ambiguous results.

Also, I would add the filter for Number of support tickets that took more than a certain period to resolve of high priority and number of comments on them. As speaking from experience, generally support tickets which have lot of comments are of high priority *irrespective* of actual priority!

0 votes
Matthias Ton March 9, 2014

Hi Tarun,

thanks very much for your answer! Developers not correctly using the JIRA workflow might indeed be an issue here. The only objection I can think of is that we are using a lot of Kanban boards which should force developers to move their issues to the "In development" workflow status as soon as possible.

Any further thoughts, anyone?

Thanks.

Matthias

Suggest an answer