What's the best way to give app developers a list of minor fixes?

Elliott Lemberger October 30, 2015

We work with app development teams overseas, so when we get a new app build, we don't have the luxury of sitting down with our developers in person to review the builds and provide lists of fixes (which there always are), everything from details from the provided designs that didn't make it into the builds, or weren't implemented correctly, to features that weren't implemented correctly (if at all).

We usually go back and forth with either a long email on every note from the last update, or a JIRA ticket that contains 20+ small notes on a build, but a lot gets lost in the mix and we as a design team often end up giving up on getting features implemented correctly.

It is not really practical to create a JIRA ticket for every single note we have on an app build, since most of them are pretty small (move this button over 5 pixels, fix this color, make the keyboard auto-appear on this screen, fix the typo in this error message, etc...) We have JIRA tickets for most of the major stuff, and all new design features start as JIRA tickets.

Granted as designers, my team can probably get better at documenting how our dev teams should execute new features, and we're also a young team so hopefully getting better PMs down the road will help with this situation, but until then what is your best advice for providing lists of small tasks related to one build to our dev teams overseas and following up on the process?

Any help at all greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

3 answers

4 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2015

Those tasks should be JIRA tickets or subtasks of one of those tickets. Quite simply, you can report on it only if you capture it somehow!

Subtasks might be a good option for you and you can then have different priorities assigned (or assign weight using a custom field) for each subtask.

You can then assign them to a JIRA fixVersion for each build, if at all needed, and do reporting based on all these attributes.

0 votes
Dennis Poort November 3, 2015

Another way to go might be using an Epic issue, to which you link all related issues.

I like a setup by creating Epic > Story > Sub-task (optional).

At the moment I am using the Epic Sum Up plugin that provides me with a nice overview on expected total time needed to finish an Epic.

Somehow I do not often use sub-tasks. But hey, I consider myself fairly new to JIRA myself as well. Hope my input helps deciding which way to go. Cheers.

0 votes
Elliott Lemberger November 2, 2015

Have never used sub-tasks (still fairly new to Jira)...will look into that method.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer