What's the best process for upgrading to JIRA v7

Elec Morin March 1, 2016

Hello,

We currently have two instances of JIRA at our organization:

• JIRA v6.4.9
  • JIRA v6.3.12 with JIRA Service Desk v2.3.6

We have staging instances of both of these JIRA instances as well. What would the best upgrade path look like for our current setup? Will the upgrade paths be different for our two instances? Have you had any feedback from users? Do the in-place upgrades seem to be working well or would it be safer to do a side-by-side install and switch? Have there been any repeating questions/gotchas that we should plan for during the upgrade?

I have read all of the pages/documentation associated with the new JIRA v7 regarding the upgrade to JIRA Software, JIRA Service Desk, and/or JIRA Core. My request is more to get a better idea of any feedback received from users on the new versions and upgrade process.

Please let me know if you have any questions and/or if there is anything I can clarify.

Thanks,
Elec 

5 answers

0 votes
Elec Morin March 7, 2016

Hi @Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]

Thanks for this information, I didn't realize the process was to upgrade to JIRA Core and then download the SD and Software applications on top of the Core instance.

Thanks,
Elec 

0 votes
Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

service desk is an application on top of JIRA, When you upgrade to JIRA core .

Go to Application and install the application.( Applictions contains JIRA core, JIRA Software And Service Desk)

hope it helps

0 votes
Boris Georgiev _Appfire_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2016

Follow this guide and everything should be OK

https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/server_jira+agile+jsd_upgrade

The problems you might face are mainly related to incompatible add-ons, so you should do a detailed check whether if you have versions of the add-ons compatible with JIRA7 and disable all the add-ons that are not compatible before the upgrade. After you upgrade install compatible versions of the add-ons

Have in mind that some add-ons are free for JIRA6 but paid for JIRA7, so take this into account.

After the upgrade look at the log file for if any add-on fails to load thus preventing JIRA from starting and remove it manually from the plugins directory of JIRA, so your JIRA can start (I had such problems when moving JIRA 7)

I would strongly recommend that you test your upgrade in a staging environment first before upgrading production (make a fresh clone of production in staging)

Also make backup prior to upgrading:

• DB backup of the JIRA database 
  • File system backup of JIRA_HOME and JIRA installation directory

Elec Morin March 7, 2016

Hi @Boris Georgiev [Botron]

Excellent, thanks for these tips on upgrading.  The add-on information is very helpful. I'll definitely be testing the upgrade in our staging environment first and will be sure to backup the database and the home and installation directories.

Thanks,
Elec 

0 votes
Elec Morin March 2, 2016

Hi @Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]

Thanks, this is helpful. Just a quick follow-up, so you install JIRA Core first and then install the new JIRA Service Desk after? I was under the impression that JIRA Core, JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software were all separate products. Do you have to install Core and then install SD or Software to sit on top of the Core install?

Thanks,
Elec 

0 votes
Rita YOUNES [Infosysta]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 2, 2016

Hi @Elec Morin

I have upgrade JIRA from 6.4.2 to 7.0.2, I have followed the documentation and it work correctly.

First of all, you should take backup of your databases and  Home directory.

I have installed JIRA core 7.0.2 once u log in and you install service desk you should restart your service.to get all works normally.

hope this helps.

Thanks

Suggest an answer