What reporting capability is available from JIRA?

Besides the built-in reports and JQL filters, is there additional reporting capability?

19 answers

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi,

You can try https://www.jirareports.com. It is a cloud based tool that allows creation of free form reports for OnDemand and hosted Jira instances. It offers different types of reports such as bar chart, matrix reports etc. and has a rich set of features available, such as publishing the reports, calculated fields and export capabilities.

Thanks

JiraReports

When people ask about reporting, they generally mean two things: 1) the ability to execute queries (and perhaps subqueries) and 2) The ability to format data from the resulting records (including the ability to count rows, aggregate data, provide sums and averages of field values, etc.

For security and performance reasons, we don't allow users to directly access the Jira database and I suspect many others feel the same way. But the ability to query has been addressed nicely by JQL and is improving all the time.

The requirement to format and manipulate data returned from queries, however, is really unaddressed. From the user's perspective, you really just have the issue navigator, various gadgets, and the built-in (or custom) reports. The issue navigator allows you to export to Excel, so that's what most of our users end up doing. The pre-defined gadgets and reports are generally too rigid to allow users the kind of reports they want to see and generally aren't agile enough to be quickly modified even by administrators.

Dave, SQL for JIRA resolves all the drawbacks of direct access to the database by providing a thin SQL layer wrapping the Jira Java API and with full support for JQL. Therefore it is now possible to perform JQL queries as SQL statements

The inability to directly access the DB: Is this for the cloud-based version only or both the cloud and local versions?

Currently is for the local/server version only. A version for Cloud (converting the REST/JSON API into a SQL/JDBC API) is in the roadmap.

I am still having trouble accessing the database directly on the local/server version. Is there a step-by-step that will help me get into the DB? I tried using the HSQL portal, but it wouldn't allow access because it said that part of JIRA was still running. How do I completely shutdown JIRA to run HSQL?

Don't use HSQL, it only allows access from a single user. If you must use it then you have to kill JIRA before you can open it using the command line tool.

Jim Severino Atlassian Team Jul 01, 2011

Atlassian's IT team also uses the Confliuence SQL Plugin to present both general dashboards and specific reports in Confluence from data in JIRA's database. I wrote a HOWTO on the topic and presented it at Summit 2010.

Nick Menere also presented a lightning talk on "Killer Reporting with JIRA Dashboards".

hth

jim

If you're happy hacking SQL and know the limitations you could also look at the JSQL plugin... which makes your SQL queries available as portlets and reports.

You can satisfy custom reporting requirements by the implementing the reporting logic in Groovy and exporting the results into PDF reports using the JIRA PDF View Plugin.

Pros:

• this approach is extremely flexible
  • obeys JIRA permissions
  • enables to use efficient data structures and algorithms
  • enables to draw charts
  • enables to embed issue attachments
  • integrates with data sources other than the JIRA database

Cons:

• you need to invest some time into scripting

For examle, here is a custom traceability matrix generated out of JIRA tasks and requirements:

One of my favorite community pages is the Example SQL Queries. There are also tons of reports built in.

Check out recently released eazyBI application with standard JIRA reporting integration. eazyBI comes with several sample JIRA reports as well as you can create custom reports, charts and dashboards in easy drag-and-drop way. eazyBI will do initial import of all JIRA issues using REST API and then will schedule regular daily updated issues import.

Latest version of eazyBI JIRA integration supports also import of JIRA custom fields as well as issue labels. eazyBI reporting application can import data both from private JIRA installations as well as from JIRA Studio and OnDemand.

Now also installable eazyBI reports and charts plugin for JIRA is available. It stores everything in local database, access control is integrated with JIRA users and groups, and also it is easier to publish eazyBI reports as JIRA dashboard gadgets.

There's also Weekdone visual dashboard reporting for JIRA: https://blog.weekdone.com/generate-a-stunning-visual-atlassian-jira-reporting-dashboard/ that can be installed from the Marketplace here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.weekdone.atlassian-connect.jira 

It's goal is to be the simplest visual way to understand what your team has accomplished, but you can also use as a single user to monitor your personal productivity. 

dashboard.png

screen-project-dashboard.png

marketplace-screen-2-crop.png

wallboard-demo-2.png

Try it out for free here: here: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.weekdone.atlassian-connect.jira 

We use the SQL Plugin in Confluence to display the results from queries directly against the Jira database

My organization finds the out of the box time reporting in JIRA Studio to be (to be polite) lacking.

It would seem to me someone out there might have some better solutions for this.

I would appreciate any advice and/or tips.

Hi everybody,

As JIRA reporting is a kind of limited, Valiantys Corporation proposes the PowerReport plugin for JIRA which allows you to make powerfull reporting on all JIRA datas !

PowerReport uses the open source Eclipse-based reporting system Birt to generate compelling reports !

You can have a look at this plugin here => https://plugins.atlassian.com/plugin/details/23616

Hoping you would be interested in, I wish you a good day !

Brice

You can satisfy custom reporting requirements by the implementing the reporting logic in Groovy and exporting the results into PDF reports using the JIRA PDF View Plugin.

Pros:

• this approach is extremely flexible
  • obeys JIRA permissions
  • enables to use efficient data structures and algorithms
  • enables to draw charts
  • enables to embed issue attachments
  • integrates with data sources other than the JIRA database

Cons:

• you need to invest some time into scripting

For examle, here is a custom traceability matrix generated out of JIRA tasks and requirements:

To add another plugin to the list, Intelligent Reports allows you to create reports In Microsoft Word format. It allows advanced data manipulation and native Word charts. It is very simple to set up and use, and comes with example reports to get you started.

It allows the use of any JQL query and custom issue fields as well.

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.clariostechnology.intelligentreports

There is a new contender in the JIRA advanced reporting field (2015):

SQL for JIRA allows to perform JQL queries as standard SQL even remotely via JDBC, Therefore JQL can be integrated with 3rd party industry-standard tools like BIRT, Pentaho, JasperReports, etc.

It fully honors the JIRA user's permissions to show granted data only.

There are some free extensions available to create SQL for JIRA Reports & Charts  in a visual way with drag & drop and embed them in JIRA Dashboards (based on BIRT) as well as text and table custom fields to show aggregated data or whatever other SQL for JIRA data and more powerful extensions are coming soon.

Example: JIRA remotelly integrated with Eclipse for reporting with BIRT.

jira_eclipse_integration.png

Hi,

You can try https://www.jirareports.com. It is a cloud based platform that lets you build free-form reports for On-Demand and Hosted JIRA. It provides several features such as drag and drop report creation, publishing and sharing reports, exporting reports, calculated fields such as count, age, month/week/year of dates and provides various different formats such as pie, bar, list, crosstab/matrix.

info @ JiraReports

Hi,

You can try https://www.jirareports.com. It is a cloud based tool that allows creation of free form reports for OnDemand and hosted Jira instances. It offers different types of reports such as bar chart, matrix reports etc. and has a rich set of features available, such as publishing the reports, calculated fields and export capabilities.

Thanks

JiraReports

You can use all Excel reporting features on JIRA issues with the Better Excel Plugin.

It enables using complicated formulas, Excel functions, Excel charts or even powerful pivot tables and pivot charts. Not only you can generate reports on system fields and built-in custom fields, but also process data from the most powerful add-ons like JIRA Agile (story points, sprint, epics, etc.), JIRA Service Desk (SLA, request types, etc.) or Tempo (worklogs, accounts, etc.) (see all integrations).

You can automate the reporting process with the Excel Automation Plugin (see the tutorial) or build custom reporting with the Excel API.

This is an extremely practical and flexible reporting approach to address 99% of real-life reporting needs.

Hello,

I have a main  ticket and have linked ticket attached to the main ticket, I want to get the total from the main and the linked tickets. The work time is submitted into child ticket only. Is this possible in JIRA 6.4.

Thanks,

This is pretty easy to do with SQL for JIRA (and then show the data as custom field in the Issue detail view) Guessing the work time is reported in a custom field named "Work Time", the SQL for JIRA statement would be like: select sum(cf.work_time) from issues i inner join issuelinks l on l.issueid=i.d inner join issuecustomfields cf on cf.issueid=l.childissueid where i.key=? group by i.id You could also show each child issue along with its work time on a table as custom field too...

Running multiple teams is hard, and the lack of effective tools to track and trend progress as you evolve your process and continuously improve is frustrating.

Your reporting tool should keep up with you, not slow you down.

What if there was a tool that:
* eliminates complicated and technical setup
* replaces broken spreadsheet-based reporting or general purpose BI
* prioritizes an amazing user experience
* engages the entire team
* provides hard data to make real decisions

We built Notion (https://usenotion.com) specifically to achieve that. Super easy set up, and we make visualization (team dashboards, reports you'll want to share) simple with JQLs and the ability to mash up all of your other data.

Come on over and say "hi", and we can run you through the best dashboards you wish you had all along. 

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Posted yesterday in New to Jira

Are you planning to trial, or are currently trialling Jira Software? - We want to talk to you!

Hello! I'm Rayen, a product manager at Atlassian. My team and I are working hard to improve the trial experience for Jira Software Cloud. We are interested in   talking to 20 people planning t...

55 views 1 0
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you