What possibilities does JIRA have for cross-functional teams?

Andrey Tolmachev August 9, 2011

I'm working in a product company developing about 20 products and having about 40 developers in staff. Developers are united in teams (5-10 persons), and each team works on a set of products. Each team has more or less freedom (as some products depend on other ones) in choosing duration of sprint. For each sprint team implements a set of features in the products they are working on, but products are released separately, usually on demand.

By now we have a strong need to migrate from self-made issue tracking tool to something more convenient and functional. I looked at JIRA(+Greenhopper) and appreciated it's simplicity and customization opportunities. But I have no idea how we can implement our process with a plain structure of projects and sprints based on releases used in JIRA.

2 answers

0 votes
Bernard O'Flynn August 22, 2011

It sounds like JIRA & Greenhopper plus the new Rapid Views in JIRA 4.4 will help.

Its the only way to do cross-project views in JIRA so far that I know about.

Andrey Tolmachev August 23, 2011

Thank you, Bernard. I'm going to look at Rapid Views, sounds promising.

0 votes
Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2011

I'm a bit unsure if what your question actually is.

My current customer has sevelra products in their portfolio. What we have done is registering every product as a project. This again makes it possible to have different pages, workflow, notofications, permissions, etc. The projects can have different sprints, different durations and different version-setups.

Just a quick answer. I have no idea if I actually answered your question :)

Andrey Tolmachev August 23, 2011

Thank you, Ivar! In our case we want to have one sprint and one backlog for several projects, and thats the problem.

Suggest an answer