What permission scheme is needed to allow a user to see only one project and both view and create issues in that project?

Marian Skupski June 13, 2014

I am trying to set up a user that can see only a single project. I seem to have everything set up so that they can add issues, but they cannot see any of the issues in the project.

I tried adding the Browse Projects permission, but that now gives them the ability to see more than the single project. I've followed the instructions in various other questions, but I have not been able to set permissions/users up so that a user can both see issues and create issues in a single project.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 13, 2014

Hey, just to expand a bit on what Nic mentioned, you probably want to check the Permission Schemes, and configure it such that the specific user only has 'Browse Project' permission for that particular project.

Some things that you wanna watch out for is the group memberships of that user, make sure he's not a group that allows him to view the issues in other projects.

1 vote
Marian Skupski June 15, 2014

It is the inclusion of the users group that causes all projects to show.

I have to agree withs ome of the previous questions on this topic that the user permissions scheme is unnecessarily complicated. I say that even though the application that I test has a very complex permissions scheme (which I also do not understand).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 15, 2014

Actually, the permissions aren't any more complex than their power and flexibility need them to be. The main problem tends to be that the defaults you inherit when you first install Jira are terrible for systems that want to restrict people, and because it's not clear that they are awful up-front, they get reused or used as the templates everywhere, making them a nightmare to unpick.

Once you've got them separated out, permissions are quite simple - you can see "person X can do Y because their profile matches rule Z"

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2014

How are you allowing them to "browse projects"? What's the mechanism that gets them the permission - group, role, specific user id?

I assume you've unpicked the default "jira users group gets to see everything by default"?

Suggest an answer