What kind of version naming conventions is used by Atlassian?

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 3, 2015

I am wondering what kind of naming convention is used by Atlassian to number their builds as I recently observed EAP builds of JIRA with numbers like `7.0.0-m01b` ?!

I am concerned about this because the recent versions seem not to match any of the well known conventions, causing version comparison to fail.

For example the Atlassian updater breaks on converting these releases to something that can be compared (so it can decide if it should update it or not).

1 answer

1 vote
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 3, 2015

In general, JIRA follows Maven semantics. Our public releases follow the MajorVersion.MinorVersion.IncrementalVersion pattern.

EAP releases are development builds. We release them to plugin developers before every new minor version. They follow the pattern of MajorVersion.MinorVersion.IncrementalVersion-Qualifier. Qualifiers in our EAP builds follow a consistent pattern: m01, m02, m03, etc. They are not necessarily sequential, because we do not release every build publicly to developers. Once feature development is complete, we usually release a beta build followed by an rc build.

The recent release of the m01b milestone is more of an exception to the rule. We discovered an error in a configuration file that could cause JIRA to fail to start up. However, the code in JIRA 7.0.0-m01b is identical to JIRA 7.0.0-m01.

Hope this helps.

Dave Meyer

Product Manager, JIRA

Suggest an answer