What issues does "Issues in Epic" list?

Deleted user May 11, 2014

I am looking for the documentation that explains how Issues in Epic is supposed to behave. In particular, in 6.1.7 when looking at an Epic it shows issues whose Epic field contains the Epic but not those whose Epic/Theme field contains it. Can it be configured to show both sets of issues? Where is the behavior specified?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 12, 2014

Hi Neil,

I think you can find a bit more information here. However, there's not much about it since the concept is quite simple. Issues in Epic is similar to Sub-tasks in Issue, and that's it.

Regarding Epic/Theme, in the previous link you can see that it only applies to the Classic Boards, which is no longer supported. Hence, it can be said that this field is now a mere Label field.

Cheers.

Deleted user May 12, 2014

OK, thanks very much.

1 vote
Andy Nguyen
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 11, 2014

Hi Neil,

Those issues with an Epic Link pointing to the name of an Epic will be included in the "Issues in Epic" section of that Epic. For example:

• Issue-1 is of Epic issue type and has the name Epic-1
  • Issue-2 is of standard issue type and its Epic Link field has the value Epic-1
  • then Issue-2 will be included in the "Issues in Epic" section of Issue-1

Basically, Epic Link of a standard issue is linked to Epic Name of an Epic. Epic/Theme is of type Label hence has nothing to do here. You can read more about this at JIRA Agile Custom Fields.

Cheers.

Deleted user May 11, 2014

Thanks. Is this documented anywhere that I can show the user who asked me the question? The link you provided does not mention "Issues in Epic". Also, what is the mental model for using Epic/Theme? How does it fit in an Agile process? Is it just unstructured labels for cross referencing?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events