What issues does "Issues in Epic" list?

I am looking for the documentation that explains how Issues in Epic is supposed to behave. In particular, in 6.1.7 when looking at an Epic it shows issues whose Epic field contains the Epic but not those whose Epic/Theme field contains it. Can it be configured to show both sets of issues? Where is the behavior specified?

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Andy Nguyen Atlassian Team May 12, 2014

Hi Neil,

I think you can find a bit more information here. However, there's not much about it since the concept is quite simple. Issues in Epic is similar to Sub-tasks in Issue, and that's it.

Regarding Epic/Theme, in the previous link you can see that it only applies to the Classic Boards, which is no longer supported. Hence, it can be said that this field is now a mere Label field.

Cheers.

OK, thanks very much.

0 votes
Andy Nguyen Atlassian Team May 11, 2014

Hi Neil,

Those issues with an Epic Link pointing to the name of an Epic will be included in the "Issues in Epic" section of that Epic. For example:

• Issue-1 is of Epic issue type and has the name Epic-1
  • Issue-2 is of standard issue type and its Epic Link field has the value Epic-1
  • then Issue-2 will be included in the "Issues in Epic" section of Issue-1

Basically, Epic Link of a standard issue is linked to Epic Name of an Epic. Epic/Theme is of type Label hence has nothing to do here. You can read more about this at JIRA Agile Custom Fields.

Cheers.

Thanks. Is this documented anywhere that I can show the user who asked me the question? The link you provided does not mention "Issues in Epic". Also, what is the mental model for using Epic/Theme? How does it fit in an Agile process? Is it just unstructured labels for cross referencing?

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

3,156 views 13 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot