What is the recommended attachment size for Jira v5.2.7?

Ecom jira December 17, 2014

What are the drawbacks of attaching bigger file sizes. Our attachement size on the server is 240 GB.

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 17, 2014

Attachments take up disk space and hence increase the size and time of your backups, but the total volume doesn't matter to JIRA really.

JIRA is not built to handle large files, you may run into interrupted uploads or downloads if you allow very large files to be attached, and sometimes memory issues if they're renderable.  Some plugins will also struggle.

Ecom jira December 22, 2014

We have our Jira system restricted to 5MB for each issue to be created. Our customer wants to store large files into the jira system say above 80 MB for each issue. Would it be advisable?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 22, 2014

80Mb is higher than I would recommend generally, especially if they're a file type that JIRA can render inline.

Ecom jira January 7, 2015

I would also like to know how much can I restrict an attachment file size for each of the jira issue? Any recommendations on that?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 7, 2015

It's a simple global settings under admin -> attachments. It applies to all files being attached individually, it has nothing to say about where it's applied (i.e. you can attach 1000s of files to one issue, as long as each individual file is under the file size limit)

Ecom jira January 19, 2015

Can I have a contact number of atlassian support whom i could talk to?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 19, 2015

Have you signed up for "Enterprise support"? If not, then there's no telephone support, you'll need to raise an issue with support directly (they're usually fast to respond, and will do telephone support if it becomes useful, but you'll need an issue with them first)

Suggest an answer