What is the rational of Project code having no numbers?

Henri Koppen February 9, 2015

We use Google docs. Projects start with a code  P001 P002 et cetera. It would be easy to use this codes as project codes but only capitals are allowed. Why is that? And is that going to change sometime soon?

2 answers

1 vote
Andrey Kuzmin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 9, 2015

There is a possibility.

Try changing jira.projectkey.pattern property at Administration > System > Advanced Settings.

p.s. We are using ([A-Z0-9][A-Z0-9]+) pattern.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2015

I'd recommend you change that to ([A-Z][A-Z0-9]+) - there are plugins and features that go wrong when they encounter a project key that starts with a number.

0 votes

Andrey, thanks for your quick response. I see Administration en System, but cannot find Advanced Settings and thus the jira.projectkey.pattern. I am using the cloud version of Jira, is it still possible? And could you give me a little bit more direction?

Under advanced I see options like ; Indexing, Attachements, Events, WebHooks, Severvices.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 9, 2015

It's not changeable on Cloud, one of the features they've disabled.

Ah, thanks, bummer. I really don't understand why it's been this way.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 9, 2015

It used to be more open before Cloud, but people insisted on using silly settings and breaking stuff. They've never supported anything more open than ([A-Z][A-Z0-9]+) and on Cloud, it's all about being able to maintain large numbers of installations that all conform to standards.

Suggest an answer