What is the project "Release Manager" role for anyway?

Anthony Mastrean June 13, 2014

I want to allow some folks to modify Versions. I thought the Release Manager role would support that, but they don't see any extra screens or options. I actually can't find any documentation on the web about this project role. And my "default" permissions scheme doesn't show any Version related activities to even assign this role to!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Wolpers [BlackPearl PDM]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 13, 2014

Anthony,

In regards to your comment: That is a fact. The out-of-the-box roles are:

• Administrators
  • Developers
  • Users

Additionally, here's some good documentation to point you in the right direction: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Project+Roles

As far as Modifying Versions goes, it's essentially the "Administrators" (or anyone that has the permission "Administer Projects")

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 13, 2014

Yes, it's not the role that controls the ability, it's the permissions. You could easily set up "project admin" permission to say "people in the project admin role, the project lead and people in group X"

Note also that project admins get component and user editing rights in the project.

Anthony Mastrean June 15, 2014

Good info, Nic, thanks! I would still love to see some assignable Version permissions. I think my Project Leads would like that ability without being responsible for the entire People tab, too :)

0 votes
Anthony Mastrean June 13, 2014

Oh snap... these roles may not be built-in. I'm inheriting a legacy system without any documentation. Maybe my predecessors invented this role. The question still stands, albeit, slightly modified... are there any roles that allow modifying Versions besides the Project Administrator?

Suggest an answer