What is the number of custom fields limitations in JIRA Cloud? and do I found how many are left?

Phil Harman August 17, 2017

Our organization currently is subscribed to JIRA and Confluence Cloud.  We are wanting to add more issue types and configure more custom fields.  We need to have an understanding what is the custom field count limitation and how many are available to consume or have been used in our current instance?

2 answers

0 votes
Lucinda Pagett February 7, 2023

In the new Jira cloud update (we use Jira Work Management) - I have 124 custom fields but I am unable to add any more. Is there a reason for this? Will we get more custom fields. We are working on automating a huge range of processes and have the fields to help with reporting but we have now hit our limit

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2023

What does "unable to add" look like?  What is stopping you during the "add field" process?

Lucinda Pagett March 7, 2023

Hi Nic,

Apologies for the delay - I didn't see a notication come through on this.

When I go to add an extra field (I couldn't seem to screenshot it) - it has a little 'stop' sign and won't let me drag any more fields to the issue.

I've been through and deleted a heap of custom fields to remove them and add the 'prompt' to the description box. It would be better to have them as custom fields so we can report on them :) 

Thanks,

MicrosoftTeams-image (28).jpeg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2023

You never need to apologise for a delay. This is a public forum, we are all busy, and we all understand people here have other things to do.

I think you've run into team-managed project limitations.  They stop us from adding fields when it's a bit too much for humans.  I seem to remember the limit is about 50-ish.

I think you will need to move to company-managed projects, if you want over (whatever the current limit is) as they have no limits on their field numbers.

But I cannot tell you that this is wrong. There are many cases where filling in loads of fields is right.  I would question it, because I'm a massive fan of "keep it simple for the end user", but I do not know what field you work in, so I have no way to know.

Lucinda Pagett March 7, 2023

Hi Nic - thanks so much for your reply. I did see the reply come through today :) 

I completely agree - we use Jira Work Management for a variety of teams but the one we are currently working on, is a very complex process (a call centre automated escalation process) so there are a fair few fields - plus it seems to add fields from all of our projects / teams that are using Jira Cloud. Each "Issue" we've set up is relatively simple, but when they are all added together, it's a lot of different fields.

If we moved to a company-managed Jira Cloud, will we lose the projects we are currently working on?

We have had trouble in the past moving old Jira tasks from the old board design (with the complex back end) to the newer update (with the drag and drop fields) because it breaks connections between tasks.

Thanks,

Lucinda

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 17, 2017

The technical limit is so large you'll have made your system utterly unusable before you put a dent in it.

To see how many you have, look at Admin -> Issues -> Custom fields.

As a general rule, I don't start to worry until a system hits 100, but if it has more, I start to look for reasons.  I've inherited a system with 4,000 once, and while it technially worked fine, it was a pig to look after and a total mess when it came to reporting.  If you're creating lots of custom fields, you really need to insist that they are used and useful and that they're used and named appropriately. 

Jillian Marabut May 14, 2020

Hi. This doesn't seem to be the case anymore? I'm encountering an issue, since I've reached 50 fields in one service desk project. And I'm prompted with "You can't add more than 50 fields in your Service Desk." See photo attached: 

Is there a workaround I'm missing? Right now, we're looking into separating forms in different projects but that's not very ideal since it will affect reports extraction. Any inputs would help. Thanks!

50 fields limit.PNG

Cem Karaca May 21, 2020

I'm also getting a limit warning after 50, I didn't understand why there is an hard limit like that.

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2020

There was a post posted by an Atlassian staff that there is a soft limit which supposedly can be lifted if you contact Atlassian. 

I've tried to contact them but they've given me a different reason and for some reason I am unable to find the original post

Harry Bob
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 25, 2020
Like Cem Karaca likes this
Cem Karaca May 26, 2020

Thank you Harry, I will send an email, in case I use dynamic fields plugin I will need lots of custom fields.

Suggest an answer