What is the meaning of the word "function" in JQL?

Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2013

Hi Community, specially Atlassian:

I was trying some JQL search testing, without using the Groovy Script Runner. When I was trying to set some complex queries I found out that I might use the word "function". However, at the results there is a notification that mentions the following:

Error in the JQL Query: 'function' is a reserved JQL word. You must surround it in quotation marks to use it in a query

I'm quite curious about the word function in the JQL query search notation?

Thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Florian Zink October 15, 2013

Hi Darly,

it's just a reserved word from JIRA, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA051/Advanced+Searching#AdvancedSearching-ReservedWords

If you want any cool JQL functions you should use either JQLT plugin and/or ScriptRunner with scripted JQL functions.

Cheers

Florian

Darly Senecal-Baptiste
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 15, 2013

But it mentions that you need to sorround the word with quotes. However, JQL is reading it as a field (which is not)

0 votes
codelab expert
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 15, 2013
"function" is a reserved word which you should not use. I don't know what you have read about this but it is wrong.

Suggest an answer