What is the difference between due date and target end?

Fernando Cervantes February 11, 2020

In JIRA we have 2 options, I would like to know the difference or definition of

Due date:

Target End: 

thanks

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 11, 2020

Target End is a custom field that someone added to your instance so we cannot comment on the intent in any definitive manner. My guess is that someone wanted a date that would reflect "here is our goal for completion" which is different from "this is when this task needs to be done so as not to impact something.

Paul Wieland January 21, 2021

Target End (as well as Target Start) is available in Jira Cloud in every site instance I have created (in both Jira Core and Jira Software). It's technical name says its a custom field, but it's the same for everyone on every Jira site.

Like # people like this
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 21, 2021

Target Start/End are introduced by the Portfolio add-on.  This add-on is now included with the Cloud version of Jira by default.  For Server edition it is still a separate add-on.

2 votes
Pete Singleton
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2020

Due Date is an "out of the box" Jira field, which is generally available on screens by default.  

Target Start & Target End dates are fields created by, and used by, the Portfolio for Jira add-on.

Guillermo April 18, 2021

At Advanced Roadmap for our Jira Cloud, Start Date and Due date are used as default dates for issues.

It was a bit tricky for me until I realized which fields are set default in Projects and inside the Plan (Advanced Roadmap).  They did not match and I had to rearrange it.

Like Paula Levin likes this
Paula Levin May 31, 2022

@Guillermo I'd be curious to hear more about this. I'm setting up Advanced Roadmaps... I'm planning to create epics for things on our roadmap that are a while away, and I've been trying to figure out whether to use target dates or start date and date. I'd appreciate hearing any insights you have from your experience!

Guillermo May 31, 2022

Hi @Paula Levin in our case, we shifted to use only start date and due date, so it was easier for us to see the timeline at the roadmap.

In any case, we are currently using excel in a manual but visual way to work our roadmap for next months.  It is a tool for us for generating discussion and create scenarios rapidly with stakeholders.

Hope it works well for you!

Like Paula Levin likes this

Suggest an answer