What is the definition of issue role?

Saengrawee Klamdam September 18, 2019

I am trying to create an overview of JIRA user concept. Can someone please entlighten me what issue role is and if there is any difference between issue role and current assignee?

Thank you.

2 answers

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2019

There is no "issue role".  Do you mean "project role"?

A project role is a container that goes across all projects, but separated by project, and can be used to allocate users (individuals or groups) into projects, then used by permissions and notification to allow or do various things. 

For example, you might put Alice into the role of "developer" in project A, Bob into "developer" in project B, and Charlie into it in project C, and then never use it in project D.

"current assignee" is the primary individual currently responsible for the issue

Hello, thank you for your prompt reply. I found this on https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-desk-cloud/docs/overview-of-jira-cloud-permissions/ 

and it states in the diagram issue role (assignee). That's why I would like to know the definition of it.

thanks so much. Issue role.PNG

Like WW likes this
WW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 11, 2021

Agreed, I found in the Issue Level Security documentation where it mentions "issue roles."

Issue roles such as 'Reporter', 'Project Lead', and 'Current Assignee'

I'm also curious to know what all an issue role could be.  I wouldn't think Project Lead would be since it has "project" in the name, but I don't know what an "issue role" is.

I'm guessing that it's some kind of built-in user field on an issue screen, but then that wouldn't explain Project Lead.

Maybe it's a generic way of referring a role that's a non-permissions-related role?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2021

Yeah, the docs on this are really bad.   "Issue role" is not a good way to talk about a project role or a dynamic role, it makes you think the roles have a direct relationship with an issue, like they are fields on an issue.   They don't, and they nothing like fields.

Reporter, project lead, current assignee and the others are dynamic roles.  Their membership is derived from other data, not set directly.  And you use them in permissions schemes in the same way you use project roles.

They do at least have decent names - the current assignee role is "the person who is currently the assignee", the project lead is the person named as the project lead, and the reporter is the person who created (reported) the issue.

Like WW likes this
0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2019

Hi @Saengrawee Klamdam ,

Welcome to community!

Project roles are a flexible way to associate users and/or groups with particular projects.Project roles are somewhat similar to groups, the main difference being that group membership is global whereas project role membership is project-specific.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/managing-project-roles-776636382.html

Each issue has a current assignee, which means who is responsible for the issue.

Thank you for yor feedback, much appreciated.

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 18, 2019

Also groups are controlled  by JIRA admins. Project role membership is controlled by project admins. 

Suggest an answer