What is the correct way to link issues?

Dan Lohaus December 27, 2011

I want to link issues using the "blocks" or "is blocked by"; however, is doesn't appear to be working properly for me. I want the user that is attempting to resolve the issue being blocked to either not see the Resolve trainsition or be warned that the issue is unable to be resolved due to one or more blocking issues. (e.g. A is blocked by B and C. Attempt to resolve A and can only resolve it if B and C are resolved/closed).

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2011

It's working as designed - a link between issues is a logical link for humans to follow. It does *not* alter the behaviour of issues.

If you need it to alter behaviour, you're going to need a bit of code. The obvious one is to write or find a plugin that will provide a new workflow-condition of "only allow transition if all links (of type X?) are resolved" Start with a quick look through https://plugins.atlassian.com/search/category/58 - I'm sure you'll find one that will get you close.

Dan Lohaus December 27, 2011

Thanks for the confirmation.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 27, 2011

It's working as designed - a link between issues is a logical link for humans to follow. It does *not* alter the behaviour of issues.

If you need it to alter behaviour, you're going to need a bit of code. The obvious one is to write or find a plugin that will provide a new workflow-condition of "only allow transition if all links (of type X?) are resolved" Start with a quick look through https://plugins.atlassian.com/search/category/58 - I'm sure you'll find one that will get you close.

Suggest an answer