What is the best way to solve "sometimes" statuses in JIRA workflows?

Ewa Boloczko October 11, 2017

Many times my users ask me to add "sometimes" status, like "On Hold", "TBD" etc. What is the best workflow configuration for that? Back and forth transitions? Looks like spaghetti to be honest...

Appreciate all suggestions :)

Ewa

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 11, 2017

Yes, back and forth transitions, but keep it very simple, having only one "held" type status.  I'd stick with "On hold", and while I'd let people put it on hold from most status in the workflow, I'd generally only let it go back to early "to do" type status in the flow to show that more work needs to be done on it and the restart process is not trivial (If you want to be able to go to where it was put on hold, then there are some handy add-ons that can provide "only allow transition based on the transition that took me to on-hold")

"TBD" is a natural part of the workflow though, and frankly simply means "to do" to me.  If it needs discussing, then you've not started on it, so leave it in to-do.  I would question any process that has "sometimes" status in detail (why is it not going back to simply "to do"?), and even if the users insist, never allow more than "blocked" or "held for business reasons".

And, yes, it will look like spaghetti.  It's why I avoid allowing held status.

Ewa Boloczko October 13, 2017

Thanks Nic,

I'm trying to avoid both, useless statuses and spaghetti transitions, but users sometimes have needs. It's not only On hold, but also 10%-90% process (only 10% cases are different), so they need more options. They are focused on the status especially when the workflow is moving across the teams. If this is important for them, I just agree :) 

Thanks, Ewa

Suggest an answer