What is the best way to hide large text in JIRA issue description?

simontower May 29, 2015

My colleagues will often paste large chunks of log data into a JIRA issue description. This info is useful, but I don't want to scroll through the whole description just to see the first comment.

What is the best way to hide these log chunks?  I recall being able to use a macro that would contain text and place scrollbars in an inner window for scrolling. Does this, or similar, macros exist?

I'd prefer a free option. Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Gabor Nagy _Midori_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2015

If I understand correctly, the "noformat" syntax might help you, see example here: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all

simontower May 29, 2015

Perfect, thanks! It would be useful if the Text Formatting Notation Help page had an example of {noformat} containing large text with scrollbars.

Maitrey Patel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2018

Why do we go with "noformat" option where we want to show a formatted text? We could user JQuery or Javascript in description field to update CSS. Sorry, But for me it's not a perfect answer.

BR,
Maitrey Patel

vjpaddy February 22, 2019

Thanks for your reply. Just what i was looking for. 

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2015

I thought there was a little triangle next to the Description field that opened and closed it? You can also set the max number of characters in that field under Advanced Settings

Suggest an answer