What is the best way to hide large text in JIRA issue description?

My colleagues will often paste large chunks of log data into a JIRA issue description. This info is useful, but I don't want to scroll through the whole description just to see the first comment.

What is the best way to hide these log chunks?  I recall being able to use a macro that would contain text and place scrollbars in an inner window for scrolling. Does this, or similar, macros exist?

I'd prefer a free option. Thanks!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Accepted answer

If I understand correctly, the "noformat" syntax might help you, see example here: https://jira.atlassian.com/secure/WikiRendererHelpAction.jspa?section=all

Perfect, thanks! It would be useful if the Text Formatting Notation Help page had an example of {noformat} containing large text with scrollbars.

Why do we go with "noformat" option where we want to show a formatted text? We could user JQuery or Javascript in description field to update CSS. Sorry, But for me it's not a perfect answer.

BR,
Maitrey Patel

I thought there was a little triangle next to the Description field that opened and closed it? You can also set the max number of characters in that field under Advanced Settings

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Nov 27, 2018 in Portfolio for Jira

Introducing a new planning experience in Portfolio for Jira (Server/DC)

In the past, Portfolio for Jira required a high degree of detail–foresight that was unrealistic for many businesses to   have–in   order to produce a reliable long-term roadmap. We're tur...

2,390 views 15 19
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you