What is the best way to handle multiple projects dependencies in JIRA Software?

Alae Loudiyi March 20, 2016

Hi,

I'm looking for how to use JIRA in order to track a large scale project which involves multiple modules/parties/projects. Any suggestions are more than welcome.

Here is my use case : 

• I have multiple modules/projects (Module1, Module2, Module3 and Module4), and each module is a standalone EAR application with its own version. (Module1 is mainly UI)
  • Each module has its own UI and backend. And modules do communicate with each others (either via sending XML notification over an Entreprise Broker, or directly calling through a service from one module to another).
  • Some Business requirements (or a user story) involve creating a UI in Module1 and doing some business checks, then sending an XML notification to all other modules. Each module than has to read the notification and follow some business requirements. Modules may have their own UI in order to let the user monitor the processing. Besides, modules may call one another through a service.
    Hence a Business requirement (user story) does involve at least one module and at most all modules depending on the user story.
  • The final/overall application is made up of all modules. For an example, version 0.1.0 of the application is made of Module1-v0.2.0 and Module2-v2.0.8 ...etc
  • I have an overall product backlog as well as modules' backlogs (because some modules are already used as standalone in production)

I have created a JIRA project for the overall project in order to keep track of the product backlog and for every user story (in this backlog) in it, I'm planing to ask the dev team to create a separate user story in each module (if they judge that the corresponding module has to be involved). 
Also, every developer will be responsible of developing/testing the user story in each module.

I'm still thinking about how to manage version dependencies and haven't figured out how to implement it. Because when I will release v0.1.0 of the project, I have to know what are the involved version in each module.

Can you please advice, if it is the right/best thing/implementation to do? and how can I manage version dependencies between the application and modules?

thank you in advance.

best regards

1 answer

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 21, 2016

I can suggest using the JIRA Components for each module that you have, but it currently does not support versioning (see https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-3501) . I think this is the most direct feature that can help you out on what you need. Try to join in the discussion and see what Atlassian thinks about it.

Alae Loudiyi March 21, 2016

Thank you Gabrielle. I came across this issue and unfortunately proposed solutions are not suitable for me. Using the add-on is also not suitable because I want JIRA to be integrated with all dev tools and to benefit from the power of fluid integration.

thanks for you help.

Suggest an answer