What is the best way to determine if Jira servers should be merged or federated?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2017

I administer a Jira server for my team and a few others.  Due to an acquisition we now have a larger, organization-wide instance of Jira as well.  We need information from my smaller instance available to the larger.  (Searches, dashboards, links, etc) I am not sure of how best to go about this, or what the potential dangers there are.  Any help would be very much appreciated. One server uses crowd for user accounts, the other does not.  All users in my instance have active accounts in the other.

Anyone with experience with the Project Configurator add on, please let me know!

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.awnaba.projectconfigurator.projectconfigurator/server/overview

1 answer

0 votes
edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2017

Hi Robert,

To be merged, the JIRA's will have to be on the same versions. Then you can take an export from either your instance or the other and use the Project Import functionality. 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiraserver/restoring-a-project-from-backup-938847691.html

The dashboards and links will need to be recreated.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2017

That seems.... way too easy.  Theres got to be a ton of other factors to consider.  Fields, workflows, etc?  Am I overthinking?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 29, 2017

Seriously, I can't even upgrade my test server using their installer without $#(@# blowing up on start.

edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 4, 2018

Yes, fields will need to be recreated. But importing the workflows will create these fields as well in the process. 

Following the supported platforms for your versions shoud help with the upgrade process. What kinds of errors do you get?

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2018

Hi Edwin, I just realized, these instructions are for a single project.  I need to move EVERYTHING.  Not just one project.

edwin
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 10, 2018

This is the option of merging the two. The other type is restoring the whole system which would delete all data in the target instance.

Rob Horan
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2018

Ummm... destroying the other instance is not an option.  I'm not quite sure how that would help :)

Suggest an answer