What is the best way to collect estimates for tasks that happen for every issue but aren't necessarily going to take the same amount of time?

Debbie Wicks June 4, 2015

Each of my tasks / stories / new features has a time implication for the sys admin member of the team, who will check all the code and push to a staging site, get it signed off with the relevant owner and then release it.

What is the best way to represent this time when planning in JIRA Agile? 

The only way I can think is to make a subtask for every issue and enter a time estimate in the subtask but this seems very long winded and will make the backlog confusing. 

1 answer

0 votes
Tom Napper June 4, 2015

Think sub-task is the way to go.

Couple of ideas of how to manage it:

1. Create a filter for your back log that hides/shows issuetype of subtask, assignee is your admin and has work of 1 hour. That would help you keep your back log clean when you are building your sprint.
    Working with sub-tasks are good as they inherit the sprint assignment of the main task, so they march along together. Meaning, you assign the main task to Sprint 11 and magically the sub-task goes there.
  2. You can make entering your task easier f you use Portfolio you can create a single Story and it can break apart the tasks based on stages.
  3. I wouldn't use Epics

An example of the search I'd use:

issuetype = Sub-task AND status in (Open, "In Progress", "To Do") AND assignee in ("username") and timeestimate <= 1

Suggest an answer