What is the best way to Move a Task or Story from one epic to another?

Marlon M November 14, 2017

I am new to JIRA and started creating Stories, assuming I would be able to create a hierarchy of Feature -> Story -> Task.

But reading the board, i realise there is no distinction between Story and Task when it comes to hierarchy.

So now i want to setup my Features as Epics and then then create Stories and Sub tasks.

Need assistance in the best way to move existing Stories/Tasks to specific Epics

6 answers

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
sidx64 May 21, 2020

@chris.orr 

Here's a step by step way:

• Open the story you want to move to a new Epic and click on Edit
  • Scroll down in the edit mode until you see the field stating "Epic Link"
  • Change the Epic Link by searching for and selecting the new Epic you want the story to move to.
  • Click save/apply
AJ (Ajit Unnithan) June 17, 2020

👍

Like sidx64 likes this
Larry Pieniazek April 6, 2021

How do you get an issue into edit mode? I think maybe something's changed about Jira... I could not determine how to edit an issue in the "new" view. However if I changed to the "old" view and hovered over the epic I got the pencil to edit it. 

Like # people like this
Ang Tzeng Huei July 21, 2021

Click on the Epic in the highlighted color will toggle into edit mode.

Like olalekan.arogun likes this
Rose Angelli Corrales February 14, 2022

No "Edit" option when I open my Story

Like # people like this
olalekan.arogun December 27, 2022

In the newer version - In the Details Pane to the right, Go to "Epic Link" Click in the Grey area after the Highlighted Epic name. You can unlink by deleting the name or link to another epic by looking it up in the search bar.

Like # people like this
Clark Varner August 31, 2023

Thanks, this was VERY helpful to know about the new location.

1 vote
Matthias Gaiser _K15t_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 14, 2017

The Jira documentation lists you some ways how you can link existing issues to epics. On a Scrum board, I personally drag most of the times simply the issues onto an epic in order to assign them.

0 votes
Erik Unemyr_EMERGENCE July 25, 2022

Hi @Marlon M@chris.orr,

If you want to move around various Epics, Tasks and Sub-tasks to different locations within your projects easily (re-organization), it is probably much faster to use a visual tree editor to do this instead of manually changing specific issue fields in the details for individual issues.

You may want to try out the newly released Move and Organize for Jira app that provides a dynamic view of your Jira projects in a tree hierarchy.

It allows you to visually overview and also edit on-the-fly (create, edit, recursively move, delete et c) issues. Zoom and pan the tree view quickly and smoothly using keyboard shortcuts and mouse drag-n-drop support that enable you to work very efficiently also with larger projects!

Support Standard Screenshot.png

Finally, it does not require any customization of your existing Jira projects - it plugs in directly for your users without making any non-standard customizations to the project or its issues.

Feel free to reach out to me directly if you have any questions or would like to provide suggestions!

With best regards,

Erik

Disclosure: I am a representative of the company offering this solution

0 votes
chris.orr May 18, 2020

Anybody have an answer for how to move a story in one epic to another? None of the above comments are an answer. I don't want to move it to a new project, and the document above has nothing about moving.

Keith Francis August 9, 2021

you just go to the story and change epic by clicking the edit button over the epic

Prajnya Shukla August 17, 2021

But where we find the Edit button. 

Keith Francis August 30, 2021

2021-08-31_12-26-36.jpg

0 votes
Pranesh Kumar June 24, 2019

Move to the specific Story or Task and simply add the Epic link you want to move.

0 votes
Marlon M November 14, 2017

I found a way to link them. 

Ronak Dagli April 20, 2022
  1. Open the task where you want to edit the Epic.
  2. Find "Details" section on right side as shown in image. jira.png
  3. Click beside the Epic Link and you are allowed to enter the new epic or epic# in the text box. 
  4. Upon changing it will save automatically. 

Hope this helps! Give like if this work for you! 

Like Lanae Steen likes this

Suggest an answer