What is the best process to manage release versions using kanban mode in rapid boards?

Eugene November 16, 2012

As a product owner I prefer using kanban instead of scrum. And the question is what is the best workflow to manage tasks and then release the version when using kanban in Greenhopper.

At the moment:

There is a backlog where all requirements/ideas are collected. And a swimline(s) configured to show versions (Eg. v1.3 v1.4 etc).

When I process the backlog I put the version (in the field fixVersion) where it goes so it displays within swimline. When all issues are processed and resolved. I click release version and there I have to put the version. And I want to close the issues with the same version name (Eg. v1.3) but it pops that such version already exists. And I have to choose the other name. What to do in this case?

What is your workflow of processing the most important tasks and then releasing a version (within greenhopper, using rapid board).

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
boardtc
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2012

With the Rapidboard you can use Kanban or SCRUM. Kanban is suited to delivering the highest priority work in the shortest possible time, such as burning of bugs. It works well with constant change. If you have user stories in the backlog then SCRUM is a lot more effective that Kanban imho, within a SCRUM sprint there should not be much change.

If you are using GreenHopper 5.10+ you should use Sprint rather than fixVersion as fixVersion has now been decoupled from being used to delineate sprints.

Al the issues should be closed in the fixVersion, prior to you releasing it in administration.

Eugene November 21, 2012

Thanks for the advice.

Suggest an answer