What is the best practice for including external project work in your sprint?

Mk j May 9, 2021

Hi,

I would like to capture the effort involved in external projects and include that effort in my sprint estimation (note I have team members working on both internal project work and external). One way is to clone a ticket from the other project and include it my project and sprint. Wondering if this is the best practice?

Thank you

2 answers

2 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2021

It's not far off.

The easiest, and probably best, way to do this is include the "external" issues in your board, so there's no duplication, but if you can't do that (because it would mess with other people's numbers), then your idea of Clone and include is probably the next best option.

One of the projects I'm on at the moment has a Scrum board that does exactly this - the filter for the board is "Project = XYZ or label = 'xyz-include'"  (Obviously, not quite that, but the point here is the board uses a label to draw in the odd issue that the team doesn't have in the XYZ project directly)

Mk j June 13, 2021

Thank you for your reply. this was helpfull

1 vote
Answer accepted
Mirek
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2021

Hi @Mk j , 

Are you having "projects" on the same instance, or by saying internal and external those are separate? 

If those are on the same instance I guess you can simply include issues from both projects by modifying board filter.. 

Boards is a layer on top of issues so you can view them from different projects not only one. 

Mk j June 13, 2021

Same instance. Thank you for your reply. this was helpfull

Suggest an answer