What is the best (and cost free) way to learn JIRA administration?

sniadeks February 10, 2015

Greetings users and administrators!

What is the best (and cost free) way to learn JIRA administration?

Michal

14 answers

1 accepted

10 votes
Answer accepted
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 12, 2015

These are the sources I used:

Hope these help!

sniadeks February 13, 2015

I will try ,Unofficial JIRA administrator tutorial videos'. Thanks!

Like # people like this
3 votes
David Simpson • AppFusions • v3 February 10, 2015

Not free, but I'd recommend Patrick Li's book & video:

Patrick has been writing books about administering JIRA since JIRA 4.

Hi @David Simpson • AppFusions • v3 looks good, and I think it is affordable for me. I will give it a try.

Philipp Sendek
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 13, 2015

I can agree that Patrick Li's book is a very helpful resource on learning JIRA including "under the hood" adjustments.

Like Stan Surin likes this
2 votes
Luca August 3, 2016

I just wanted to point out that many answers here point to Atlassian University. Unfortunately Atlassian has recently removed all free training (or at least made it hard to find) from their University so that's not an option anymore.

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 3, 2016

Yeah, this answer has definitely changed in the past year and a half. I know that they "archived" their user training from Atlassian University in a YouTube playlist - here's the link for that.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaD4FvsFdarSWUyuv6cto4gunIvVzDTGD

As for the administrator training, I haven't been able to find that anywhere.

Like # people like this
1 vote
Katerina Kovriga {Stiltsoft}
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 21, 2019

You can also check our Knowledge Hub - the so-called collection of useful links for learning Jira:

• Atlassian online courses
  • How-to blog posts
  • Up-to-date books from Amazon written by Atlassian experts and etc.

Try to set up your own test instance where you will be able to try out everything in practice safely.

1 vote
Michael Thompson
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 13, 2019

In addition to the other resources, I highly recommend the Jira Strategy Admin Workbook, by @Rachel Wright .  I found this book to be instrumental in ramping up my knowledge of Jira, and it's still my go-to book for working in Jira. I managed to get my Jira Admin certification after just 2 years with this book!

Jay Moczulski April 15, 2020

I also recommend the JIRA Strategy Admin Book. It is so easy to follow and the worksheets that go along with each of the learning modules within the book, are perfectly suitable for you to hit the ground running immediately. Whether you are implementing a fresh instance, upgrading to another version or just currently administering the tool, the included resources are invaluable and will save you so much time. It is totally worth the price! 

Like Michael Thompson likes this
1 vote
Angelos M May 4, 2019

You may find helpful my Blog.

https://educationwithoutborders597714571.wordpress.com/

It includes

1. Custom search engine for Online course with tips for searching free courses
  2. Huge list of on line resources
  3. Gartner Technology trends resources
  4. Collections of free courses
1 vote
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 23, 2016

Most of the information is easily available on the internet and on Atlassian official website but if you are looking for a single guide then books by experts can really be helpful and you would find everything in one place. It is difficult to find one book that suffice all your needs. The books referred above are by experts and I also recommend them.

I would like to mention that I wrote Mastering JIRA last year and it has information about customizing and administring JIRA.

https://www.amazon.com/Mastering-JIRA-Ravi-Sagar/dp/1784396516/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1466676379&sr=8-1&keywords=mastering+JIRA

I also make regular videos on Atlassian topics on my youtube channel: https://youtube.com/ravisagar1

-Ravi

Consulente Atlassian June 2, 2017

i bought

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 23, 2017

Hi,

Thanks for the buy. How did you find the book? Any suggestions?

-Ravi

Like Thomas Dennis likes this
1 vote
NotTheRealStephenSifersNOPENOPENOPENOPE
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 11, 2015

Check out some of the free webinars from Praecipio Consulting:

http://praecipio.com/pc/display/ae/Webinars

Thanks @Stephen Sifers Good source :)

1 vote
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2015

I'll add my own Practical JIRA Administration, the O'Reilly book with chickens on it. Low cost for what you get

1 vote
Peter Bengov
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 10, 2015

I think that you should start with Atlassian University.

Moreover, I would follow the questions being raised here in Atlassian Answers (you can watch tags like jira-administration, for example). So each new question that has this tag will send you an email. You can of course go over older questions too. Most of the day-2-day questions were already asked in the past, so you should find what you are looking for.

And of course, Atlassian has a good knowledge base - look at the middle column titled Administer JIRA.

0 votes
Sam Bartolome
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 15, 2020

Free stuff produced by Atlassian can be found Free Tutorials and Skillbuilders.

Search for some videos in youtube, you know the wording.

You can also learn a lot from the companies who write add-ons, they have extensive documentation and videos posted online.

Last but not least ... play around with Jira, which you can also do for free with Cloud versions

I hope it helps

0 votes
Anatoly Spektor May 12, 2020

This is a self plug, but in case you learn better by watching and following along, I have a series of Learn Jira Youtube videos, from simple stuff to more complex. Of course it is on Youtube so it is FREE.

Here is the link to the Playlist in case you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOw4xXAnUo&list=PLAucYnTm2adzZtkgw4-zRXN-1NNjmZWAu

The channel is called "Define Agile"

0 votes
Emma Rush _T_D_ March 24, 2020

We are delivering free training in March-May, classes delivered every week. See https://www.thinkando.it/free-jira-training/

Nilan (AC3) March 24, 2020

How do you sign up? It seems like you need to send your info?

Emma Rush _T_D_ March 25, 2020

There's a contact form on the page where you can send your details :) 

0 votes
Anatoly Spektor August 29, 2018

I will plug my own resources, as it matches your criteria (it is FREE and up to date)

I have Youtube videos that cover different parts of Jira, I am sure you will benefit from it. I myself worked with Jira for many years as a Developer, Manager, Scrum Master.

Here is one of the videos, on Jira UI:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaOw4xXAnUo

Suggest an answer