What is the attachment limit when sending in emails?

Jeremy Price September 27, 2017

When sending in an email to one of my service desk project if I have too many attachments in my email it won't create the ticket for my Jira project. I'm assuming it is because the attachments in total are too big to go through. I could be wrong but if this is the case, is there a limit amount ( 100mb) or attachement amount (6 attachments) that would stop this from creating a ticket inside my project?  

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Jerry Ryan Ishmael September 27, 2017

What instance is this cloud?

As for my Settings > System > Attachments we have it set to 20Mb

FYI:

"...In Attachment Size, specify the maximum attachment size. The default is 10485760 bytes (10 MB). The maximum attachment sizes (2 GB).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-file-attachments-818578880.html

0 votes
Cassie Brady June 20, 2021

I'm experiencing the same issue. 

Client sent a request via email with 53 attachments totalling 7mb. It would not create a ticket in Jira. 

I have checked the global settings and we have it set to allow up to 1,024mb.

Oddly enough, I was able to create a ticket using the portal and  uploading all 53 files there. 

Most of our client all sent their requests via email channel so we need a solution.. 

0 votes
Germán Goncalves May 6, 2020

Hello, same issue here. Any update?

0 votes
Miikael Volkonski June 12, 2019

Same issue here. For me the whole point of creating issues from e-mails is to save from the hassle with attachments. 

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2017

You need to check the email server. Many have limits on attachments and file types for both sending or receiving.  For instance ours doesn't allow larger than 10 meg, no .exe or .zip files. And it can tell if you rename a zip to something else

Randy AufDerHeide November 30, 2017

Joe,

Thanks for the suggestion. We are using Office 365 and our mailboxes can receive attachments up to 120MB. I can see the emails arrive on our server and then see JIRA grab them and then they are literally GONE ;-) never to be seen again.

Felix_Asencio November 25, 2019

So did anyone ever get this to work with email larger than 10MB?

I'm getting the following errors:

The incoming email size (16777000 bytes) exceeds the maximum allowed message size (10485760 bytes).

0 votes
Randy AufDerHeide November 30, 2017

We have the same issue. I have our limit set at 75MB. If anyone submits a ticket that has an attachment over 10MB, the email will never arrive and then a week later we realize we never received the request (when the issue was supposed to be completed). 

I created a bunch of files that contain the exact file size. 8, 9, 9.5, 9.8MB all work, as soon as I hit 10MB it doesn't work and anything above.

According to the article the attachment should be fine.

Anyone have any other ideas?

jira-attachment-size.png

Brendan Moy February 19, 2019

Were you able to solve this? I have the same issue

Anja Richter March 25, 2019

We have the same issue here :( 

Suggest an answer