What is the appropriate tool to Import test cases to JIRA/Zephyr?

Julia Narvaez November 25, 2014

Hello,

I am interested in learning from the experience of veteran JIRA/Zephyr users.

Zephyr documentation points to zfj-importer-utility-0.29.jar to import test cases:
https://bitbucket.org/zfjdeveloper/zfj-importer/overview

Is this the tool that we should be using to import test cases? If so, is there any documentation or examples of the structure of the Excel files?

Would it be more efficient to import test cases using the CSV files directly in JIRA? If so, what is the proper form of import steps of a test case?

Thank you,

Julia.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 25, 2014

Hi Julia,

The preferred way is to use the importer provided by Zephyr which you have pointed out in your question. Reason being, this supports having multiple test steps within each test case. You will miss out on this functionality if you use the CSV importer for JIRA.

Using the importer is pretty straight forward and you will find the documentation in the overview page at https://bitbucket.org/zfjdeveloper/zfj-importer

Try it out on a staging environment, perform several test runs, and then import into production system.

Julia Narvaez November 26, 2014

Thank you for the feedback Bhushan! I wanted to make sure I was using the recommended tool. My hesitation was the result of attempting to import some fields were not present in zfj-importer-utility-0.29.jar for Test issue type, for example "Environment", and that XML import did not seem to work. I will determine the best way to work with zfj-importer-utility-0.29.jar. Julia.

1 vote
Legna Garcia March 1, 2018

I have Zephyr management into Jira Cloud. Is this utility usable for importing test cases into jira ? Is this utility for free or do we need to pay something for this?

Suggest an answer