What is the Relationship of a JIRA-Portfolio Plan to a Theme & Initiative

Jon Frampton September 1, 2015

I am trying to understand the best way to utilize JIRA-Portfolio.  Here are my questions which are more logical (structure) rather than functional.

1. Looking for a detailed description for the concept of Plans and how they (multiple plans, not just one instance of a plan) are designed to interact with each other?
    1. My sense is that a Plan is meant to stand independent of other Plans, but I am hoping I am wrong.
  2. It is possible to view progress across multiple Plans without needing to export to third party software?
    1. Viewing in Confluence is fine - are there instructions on how to do that?
  3. As Themes are a concept for labeling and tagging a backlog (they are not time-oriented) how does one view the progress or effort of a specific Theme across multiple plans?
    1. Same question for the Initiatives tied to those Themes, that may be spread across multiple Plans.

Any help would be very much appreciated as I am struggling at this time to visualize what our instance of Portfolio should look like a year or two down the road.  

Thanks,

Jon

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
MikeyS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 2, 2015

Hi Jon.  From my experience with Portfolio, you're not wrong -- Plans are meant to stand independent of each other.  I don't know of any way to view information across plans without exporting the data.  All interrelated work should therefore be placed into a single plan, if possible.

1 vote
Jon Frampton September 3, 2015

Thank You @Mikey Schott [ServiceRocket]

It will be nice once Atlassian has more in-depth training rather than the sales / demo type training. 

Suggest an answer