What is new with the Jira 7 sidebar?

Allan Flatoff May 6, 2016

The JIRA 7 release notes indicate there is a new sidebar but don't really explain what's new with it.

The only specific thing mentioned is that cross-project boards now have a sidebar, but it's simpler.

• what is new with the Sidebar for regular single project boards?
  • How is the sidebar "simpler" for cross-project boards?
  • What, specifically, is new with the JIRA 7 sidebar?

2 answers

0 votes
Allan Flatoff May 6, 2016

Thanks for the reply.  Can you expand on this:

*Scrum/Kanban board Configuration is handled under the Project Sidebar of type Software

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 6, 2016

Really, much stuff was just redesigned. I don't think there is a bullet list and I'm not sure anyone can come in and get a bullet list of changes for you. 

A major change is around how applications like JIRA Service Desk and JIRA Software integrate into the Project Sidebar.

Before this change,

• Project navigation was handled on the Project sidebar.
  • Project administration was handled on the Project sidebar.
  • Some Service Desk/Agile navigation was handled by Project sidebar.
  • Service Desk Configuration was handled under the add-on JIRA Service Desk.
  • Scrum/Kanban board Configuration was handled under the add-on JIRA Agile.

After this change, 

• Project navigation is handled on the Project sidebar.
  • Project administration is handled on the Project sidebar.
  • All Service Desk/Agile navigation is handled by Project sidebar.
  • Service Desk Configuration is handled under the Project Sidebar of type Service Desk.
  • Scrum/Kanban board Configuration is handled under the Project Sidebar of type Software.

For instance, you can swap between boards on the sidebar, navigation through Scrum/Kanban is on the same sidebar as project settings etc.

image2016-5-6 7:38:49.png

Similarly Service Desk options are added in place of the usual 'Reports' and 'Issues' buttons on the Service Desk project sidebar.

image2016-5-6 7:42:36.png

I hope this helped a bit.

Suggest an answer