What is an example of how to use screen schemes?

Will Wilson April 12, 2016

I do not understand the purpose of a screen scheme.  Is there a simple example that shows how someone would use them?  The Atlassian documentation shows me how to create a new screen scheme, but I have no clue why I want to do that.

2 answers

4 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

Screens are a collection of fields that you want to show to a user at some point.

A screen scheme collects them together, defining a screen for Create, another for Edit and a third for View.  This is quite handy because it means you can do things with different fields. 

For example, you can have a "Create bug" screen that includes version it was found in, but then have an "edit" screen for it that lets people add the data about which version it was fixed in and what the package release is.

Then, alongside that, have a "Create incident" screen that only asks for the basic details, and then later in the prrocess of fixing and analysing it,  you introduce "root cause" type fields

So would I create 3 different screens, and then 1 screen scheme?  Or would I also need 3 screen schemes?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 12, 2016

You need one screen scheme for each type of issue you wish to behave differently.  I usually keep the screens separate, but you can share them.  For example, you could have screens as follows:

Bug create

Bug Edit

Incident Create

Incident Edit

View all (which contains all the fields from both issue types)

Then your screen schemes could say

1.  Bug ss:  create = bug create,  edit = bug edit, View = view all
  2. Incident ss:  create = incident create,  edit = incident edit, View = view all
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2016

p.s. the schemes are not organisational, they tell JIRA what fields to show to the user when the user clicks create, edit or view on an issue.

Ahh, now I am starting to understand.  So each screen scheme can only have 3 screens associated with it (1 for create, 1 for edit, 1 for view) - right?  And a "screen" is just a list of fields, right?  Maybe I just got confused by this use of the word "screen".

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2016

Correct, completely.

Except I left one bit out.  A screen scheme also has a fourth screen, which is "default".   This is set to the screen you want to use if you don't fill in one of the other three.  It's just a way of shortening the list though.  An example here would be

• Default:  Bug edit screen
  • Create: Bug create screen

Because we have not set View or Edit, those actions will use the default, Bug edit screen.

Personally, I tend to call them out explicitly every time, so my scheme would still look like:

• Default:  Bug edit screen
  • Create: Bug create screen
  • Edit:  Bug edit screen
  • View:  Bug edit screen

They both work the same, but mine is absolutely clear to a new admin wink

Thank you!  I am an extremely new admin and I need all the help I can get!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
April 12, 2016

You'll be glad to hear all the other scheme stuff is more simple.  Screens are the only ones with three layers at the moment, and I like this table (it's not naming all the schemes, its a sample)

Project levelIssue levelother
Issue type screen schemescreen schemesfour screens
Field config schemefield config 
Permissions  
Issue type scheme  
Notifications  
2 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2016

Screens are a JIRA concept. They are part of the JIRA Core product, which are then used by the Service Desk application.

In JIRA, there is the idea of a Create operation, an Edit operation, and the View operation.

• The Create screen is used to compose the JIRA Create dialog. This is where fields required by yet another scheme object called Field Configuration would be applied. 
  • The Edit screen is used to compose the JIRA Edit dialog, and allows fields to be inline-edited on the view operation.
  • The View screen is used to show a user fields while they browse issues through the JIRA interface. They need to be a JIRA user with browse permissions to see this issue.

So, some tips – 

• For a simple JIRA Service Desk project, you aren't going to be creating issues through the JIRA interface.
  • Most simple JIRA Service Desk projects can just assign a single screen as a default screen within a screen scheme (whew) to their project.
  • All Request Screens are defined within JIRA Service Desk.

Suggest an answer