What is an 'Automatic Status Field' and why can't I edit it?

Brian Contratto December 14, 2015

Hi,

I recently imported a backlog of issues from Trello into JIRA, and for some reason I can't update the status of any of these stories (even as an administrator with the most permissive access). This is unique to this project; I can update status for issues on other projects. 

When I launch the "Where is my field?" helper, I see the following explanation about an 'Automatic 'Status' Field' whose value is set automatically. Unfortunately I can't find any other reference to this field type online, or discern how I can change this field type back to an editable Status. 

image2015-12-14 11:16:32.png

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2015

Are you not familiar with JIRA?

Do NOT edit status. Do NOT make it an editable field. That is not the way this works.

Apply an appropriate workflow with the statuses you want and the transitions connecting these statuses. You can then action issues from one status to another, using the aforementioned transitions. If you have a large amount of issues, you can Bulk Transition the issues.

Ramkumar Pitchai January 5, 2016

We have workflow and screen schema setup already and everything was fine till yesterday. But today while trying to change the status we are seeing this message. So not sure what is wrong here now

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2016

Ramkumar, I'd really love it if you asked a question on a new Question, feel free even to @mention me. If something is wrong all of the sudden, that implies someone with Administrative permissions screwed something up. If you ask a new question, please post a screenshot because I don't know what you mean by "we are seeing this message."

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2016

Ramkumar, he marked my Answer as correct. If you have additional questions that aren't explained yet you might want to ask a new Question.

0 votes
Ramkumar Pitchai January 5, 2016

Were you able to solve this issue? If so Please send me the steps to resolve this. Thanks, Ram

Suggest an answer