What is a good way to track meeting hours

dave.allen November 17, 2017
We track work hours spent on tickets. I want to figure out a good way to track meeting hours; technical meeting, stand ups, demos, sprint planning, and so forth. Any good ideas on how to track the meeting hours that occur during a sprint? I don't want to log against the stories themselves.

1 answer

0 votes
Tyler Brown
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2017

Hey Dave,

At the beginning of every Sprint you could set up a separate Story (or other issue type, maybe a Spike or Pink Card) to track time for meeting notes.  This would also give you a good break down of how much time is spent each Sprint.

If you use sub-tasks you could also have each person create their own sub-task to get a good visualization of who spent time on meetings each Sprint.

Hope this helps,

Tyler

dave.allen November 20, 2017

I've thought of doing this, but I keep thinking there must be a better way.  Is there a JIRA plug-in that would do meeting tracking?  It seems a little hokey to have a story for meeting hours..  Any ideas?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 20, 2017

Not really.  The problem is that you really want to record time and the only way that counts in Jira is a work log on an issue.  Doing anything else means Jira won't know about it.

A lot of places log one "meeting" issue per sprint, or, when they have a regular cadence (e.g. planning + standup + retrospective  all add up to 4.5 hours for everyone in each sprint on average), ignore the tracking completely, as it's simple overhead.

Like Alberto Viezzi likes this
dave.allen November 20, 2017

Maybe the right approach is to create a story and estimate how many hours of meetings will be in the sprint, and then track against that, and learn how much time we really spend on meetings...

aidan.jones May 7, 2019

I create a story with sub-tasks for events that will occur in each sprint with the estimate.  Scrum team then logs time against the sub-tasks; then I close out the story at the end of the sprint.  This helps with my KPI reporting

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer