What is Garbage collection in JIRA?

3 answers

1 accepted

Garbage collection is an automatic memory management feature in many modern programming languages, such as Java. JIRA was built using Java platform thus, using this function.

Garbage Collection (GC) is the systematic recovery of pooled computer storage that is being used by JIRA when JIRA no longer needs the storage. This frees the storage for use by other programs (or processes within JIRA). It also ensures that a program using increasing amounts of pooled storage does not reach its quota (in which case it may no longer be able to function).

0 votes

It's not actually a JIRA function, JIRA is just showing you what the java virtual machine is doing.   http://www.oracle.com/webfolder/technetwork/tutorials/obe/java/gc01/index.html is worth a quick read (especially the "describing garbage collection" bit

0 votes

You'll find many other descriptions by using Google to search for "garbage collection"

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Sarah Schuster
Posted Jan 29, 2018 in Jira

What are common themes you've seen across successful & failed Jira Software implementations?

Hey everyone! My name is Sarah Schuster, and I'm a Customer Success Manager in Atlassian specializing in Jira Software Cloud. Over the next few weeks I will be posting discussion topics (8 total) to ...

2,754 views 11 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot