What if anybody quotes the issue key and sends a mail to pre configured DL

Rajan Dubey September 5, 2013

Hi

Suppose any user (XYZ) copies the subject from an email which was sent to a pre configured DL to add the email content as a comment for a specific issue key say B123. Now (XYZ) send a mail to the same preconfigured DL with the same subject as copied earlier. Will the content of this mail be added as a comment to issue key B123?

P.S: (XYZ) is doing this unknowingly and he has no significant/relevant updates or comments on the issue key B123 but he is a part of the same project and has a user id on JIRA.

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2013

Not sure what you're talking about when you say DL, but if you mean you are using Jira's standard "create or comment" handlers, then the rule is simple - if the subject line contains the key of an existing Jira issue, the email will become a comment on that issue. If no match is found, it's a new issue.

Rajan Dubey September 5, 2013

Thanks.

Let me clear the question with an expamle. Suppose i have a issue key AB123 for an issue: XYZ environment is down. So if any JIRA user quotes the issue key AB123 in subject and puts any random email which is not even related to the issue (say the user puts the email with body: I have fire in my house and i need help) so will this email body also will be added as a comment to issue key AB123 in JIRA?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 5, 2013

Same answer - you've got AB-123 in the subject, and AB-123 is the key of an exisiting Jira issue, so the email will be imported as a comment on AB-123

Suggest an answer