What happens when i change the simple issue tracking workflow schemeto agile simplified

sn March 17, 2017

hi all,

Our company is trying to move some dev projects to agile. we want to change the existing project's simplified workflow to Agile simplified workflow in our testing environment to see how to changes. There are around 150 existing issues.

1) I want some insight on how to map all the existing issue statuses when we move to new workflow ?

2) how would this change the kanban board ?

3) Instead I was thinking of cloning this project with all issues and change the workflow to do a comparison. Is there a way to do this. our version is JIRA6.4 with Agile add on.

Thanks

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2017

Good questions.

1) Depends on the workflows you're using. 

If the target workflow has all the same status as the current workflow, then you won't map anything.  If, however, you have any issues that are in status that do not exist in the target workflow, then JIRA will ask you what to change them to when you apply the new scheme

2) It can break it, mildly

Your Kanban boards are not updated by workflow changes.  After changing the workflow over, if there are new or removed status, you should review the board configuration to add new ones into columns, and kill off any status that are no longer used.

3) Cloning a project with all issues - no, you need add-ons or coding.  But I wouldn't worry too much - workflow changes really only affect status, as described above.  List out your old and new lists of status and compare them.  If they're the same, there's almost nothing to worry about.  If they're wildly different, then there's an automated migration and some board re-working to to (oh, and filters, you may want to amend some filters)

Suggest an answer