What happens when a JIRa instance runs out of Disk Space

Donncha Daly May 8, 2013

What happens when a JIRa instance runs out of Disk Space? Although my instance is not in any immediate danger, I have been asked this question and don't know the answer.

As a related question, what administrative tasks should I perform to ensure that this doesn't happen?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

To answer the primary question: Indexing problems, inability to create issues, inability to create attachments

Bushan is right, I may also suggest to look for attachment directory and maybe move it on some other partition.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 8, 2013

Hi Donncha,

1. Add more disk space

2. JIRA automatically clears backups everyday and everytime you start/stop JIRA. You can clear this on a monthly basis

3. If you have several thousand issues that are not relevant and you can get rid of, you can archive them to another instance and delete them on your production instance.

But really, simple answer would be if you run out of disk space, you just add more. If you are running a very big instance, you will find this document useful.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/ATLAS/Scaling+JIRA

Suggest an answer